The mission of the Pathological Anatomy Service is to make quality anatomopathological diagnoses based on the morphological and / or molecular study of patient samples. These diagnoses are based on the most advanced knowledge, and provide added value to facilitate the making of the best therapeutic decisions. This task is done by collaborating with other professionals and applying the technologies efficiently, with the aim of responding to the health problems of the reference population.
We work with about forty professionals (pathologists, residents of pathological anatomy, molecular biologist, cytotechnicians, technicians specializing in pathological anatomy and cytopathology, and administrative) and we are responding to virtually all the needs of the Institution in terms of morphological diagnosis and of anatomopathological samples.
It is a service accredited for the training of specialists in Pathological Anatomy (2 residents / year), which is also completely involved in teaching the UAB Degree in Medicine (the subject of Structural and Molecular Pathology is taught to students 3rd, in the Parc Taulí Teaching Unit) and with the training of laboratory technicians (there are collaboration agreements with several institutes and schools, whose students do the internships at the service). The Service has, since June 2017, the Quality Management System certified in accordance with the UNE-EN ISO 9001: 2015 standard.
In the Pathological Anatomy Service, a wide range of technological resources (complementary techniques) is applied to the morphological diagnosis of the samples, in cases where it is necessary to guarantee the achievement of the maximum reliability of the diagnosis. In this sense, it has a wide range of histochemical and immunohistochemical stains and molecular pathology techniques, which make it possible to complete the morphological diagnosis with prognostic data and with the detection of possible therapeutic targets.
The availability of these complementary techniques also makes it possible to actively participate in a large number of research projects, both in-house and in collaboration with other hospital services.
- What. Make quality anatomopathological diagnoses based on the m, orphological and / or molecular study of patient samples, based on the most advanced knowledge, that will allow them to add value and facilitate the making of the best therapeutic decisions.
- With. Collaborating with other professionals and applying technologies efficiently.
- Because. To be able to respond to the health problems of the reference population.
- To be a benchmark excellence service for patients, professionals and the organization itself in the areas of care, organizational, teaching and research.
- Facilitate the quality of life and well-being of people. Sensitivity.
- Excellence as a responsibility of the service.
- Fairness and compromises towards society.
- Meet the ethical code and legal and regulatory requirements.
- Continuous improve.
Director of the Pathological Anatomy Service
Joan Carles Ferreres Piñas