Once your baby is born, the professionals who accompany you during labor will take the first steps to ensure the stability of you and your child.
Skin with skin
In the delivery room of the Hospital de Sabadell we are advocates for skin with baby in the first hours of life, as the evidence has shown that it brings many benefits:
- Improves the maintenance of the baby's temperature.
- Improves crying, blood glucose values and cardiorespiratory stability of the baby.
- It facilitates the establishment of breastfeeding and its duration over time.
- It is perfect for promoting the mother-child bond.
- Provides warmth and security.
How is it performed?
Once the baby is born, and if you don't require any prior care, we make sure you dry it well and give it to your mother so they can start skin-to-skin.
In the first two hours of life, the baby has a special sensibility, is more awake, looks at his mother, recognizes her by the smell and is able to challenge and search for the breast alone; That is why respecting this moment where mother and baby are in close contact is so important.
In case of caesarean section, we will place the baby with the mother whenever possible. In these cases, the father can perform skin-to-skin care with the baby until the mother leaves the operating room.
Baby care in the delivery room
- Avoid heat loss. To do this, the baby is covered with a warm blanket and a hat is placed on it.
- Pinching of the umbilical cord.
- Umbilical cord blood donation if desired by the mother.
- Skin to skin contact.
- Breastfeeding begins.
- Weight, size and measurement of the cranial perimeter of the baby.
- Prevention of hemorrhagic disease of the newborn with the administration of 1 ml of intramuscular vitamin K.
- Prevention of newborn conjunctivitis with the administration of erythromycin ophthalmic ointment.
You care for the mother in the delivery room
- We will measure blood pressure and mother's temperature.
- We will control the pain.
- We will monitor bleeding and uterine involvement.
- We will value and support breastfeeding.
- We will advise and report the alarm and care signs during the postpartum period.
Control of the stability of the baby and the mother during the first hours of life.
Performing the first baby care.
The baby is not separated from his mother - except that his or her well-being requires it - to facilitate and promote the mother-child bond.
Promotion, promotion and support of breastfeeding.
Advice parents on baby care and alertness.