Assistance to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
The Unit has qualified professionals - doctors and nurses - with specific training, advanced technology, and support and advice for all pediatric medical and surgical specialties.
Intensive care of the child must be performed jointly by all the medical and nursing staff that integrates the UCIP, promoting teamwork. In addition, the multidisciplinary nature of this activity forces a close relationship with other specialists as a way to ensure a comprehensive and continuous patient care. The support of some specialties is often crucial to the diagnosis and treatment of the underlying disease. On the other hand, once the critical situation has been overcome, the patients are transferred to the pediatric hospitalization areas where they will often be monitored by the same specialists.
Assistance to the Radiology Service for sedation procedures
Assistance to the hospitalization plant for sedation procedures and placement of central venous accesses
Emergency Assistance for the stabilization of critically ill patients until their transfer to the UCIP
Pathologies attended to
- High airway obstruction: laryngitis, malaria, etc.
- Adult Respiratory Disorder Syndrome (SDRA)
- Central and neuromuscular respiratory failure
- Air leakage syndrome
- Pleural effusion and chylothorax
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Any other respiratory pathology
- Performing tracheostomies by the ORL Service
The unit has high technology for respiratory pathology: non-invasive ventilation (CPAP, BIPAP Vision®), conventional mechanical ventilation with VNI software (Servo-i®, Evita XL®), high frequency ventilation (SLE 5000 ® and Sensor-medics®), administration of nitric oxide, capnography and the possibility of fibrobronchoscopy in the same unit with the support of the Pediatric Pneumology Unit.
Cardiovascular pathology and multiorgan failure
- Heart failure
- Pericarditis and pericardial effusion
- Cardiac tamponade
- Stabilization of infants and children with congenital heart disease until transfer to a referral center
- Advanced cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Multiple Organic Dysfunction Syndrome
Provision of a Pediatric Cardiology Unit in physical presence and 24 hours a day, with portable echocardiography, ECG and defibrillator with the possibility of pacemaker external to the unit and recent incorporation of the Picco® hemodynamic monitoring system.
- Seizures / Epileptic status
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Brain death
- Postoperative neurosurgery: brain tumors, hydrocephalus, ...
- Almost drowning
- Severe craniocerebral trauma
- Spinal cord trauma
Provision of the Pediatric Neurosurgery and Interventional Radiology Service 24 hours a day, all year. Incorporation of specific brain monitoring material such as BIS, PIC and brain echo-doppler apparatus. Possibility of EEG.
- Meningitis and encephalitis
- AIDS infections
- Nosocomial infections and related catheters
Digestive pathology (surgical or not)
- Acute liver failure
- Digestive hemorrhage
- Enteral nutrition
- Parenteral nutrition
- Acute pancreatitis
- Acute peritonitis
Provision of Pediatric Surgery Service and the Pediatric Gastroenterology Unit with the possibility of digestive fibroendoscopy 24 hours a day all year. In addition, pediatric nutritionists and the Pharmacy Service are available.
Renal pathology and fluid therapy
- Acute renal failure
- Hypertensive crises
- Liquid and electrolyte abnormalities
Possibility of peritoneal dialysis and the PRISMA® clearance system (continuous venous venous hemodiafiltration).
Hematopoietic pathology and coagulation
- Transfusion of blood products
- Anti coagulation and fibrinolytic therapy
- Hematopoietic emergencies
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation
Disposition of the Pediatric Onco-Hematology Unit
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Adrenal and thyroid disorders: Adrenal insufficiency. Thyrotoxic crisis.
- Inadequate secretion ADH, diabetes insipidus and Sd. of brain salt loss
- Congenital errors of metabolism
Close collaboration with the Pediatric Endocrinology Unit.
Traumatology and Surgery
- Burns: initial assistance and assessment of the need to transfer to a referral center
- PO control of pediatric surgery that require good analgesic control and general support.
The Pediatric Surgery, Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology Service is available.
In addition, there is the possibility of embolization in active bleeding, by the Radiology Service, 24 hours a day, all year.
Analgesia and sedation and central vascular access
- Painful techniques such as: intrathecal puncture, AMO or bone marrow biopsy, echo-guided botulinum toxin administration and central vascular access
- Imaging techniques: NMR, CT, interventional radiology, ...
Support and help the terminal patient and his family
Pediatric specialties that support the UCIP
When requested, 24 hours a day, every day of the year:
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Radiology: Rx, CT, MRI, Ultrasound and Interventional Radiology
- Pediatric surgery
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Orthopedic Surgery, Traumatology and Child Orthopedics
- Digestive and respiratory fibroendoscopy
When requested, only weekdays:
- Pediatric Pneumology and Respiratory Physiotherapy
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Pediatric Hemato-Oncology
- Pediatric ophthalmology
- Pediatric ORL
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy
- Serveis Socials