The Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology Unit deals with the traumatological problems of patients in the reference area, from birth to 17 years of age. It is also a benchmark in complex pathology in Vallès Oriental, Bages, Berguedà, Solsonès, Osona and Cerdanya.
It is made up of 3 specialists with a specific dedication to pediatric traumatology and carries out its activity in emergencies, external consultations, surgical areas and hospitalization. At the same time, it participates as a multidisciplinary expert center in Angelman Syndrome, Prader Willi Syndrome and Fragile X Syndrome with a reference area throughout Spain.
It carries out training in pediatric traumatology for specialist doctors in training (MEF) in both traumatology and paediatrics, and collaborates with the undergraduate teaching of Medicine at the Autonomous University of Barcelona in the Traumatology subject.
He participates in the committees of children's vascular malformations, those specific to minority diseases and children's neuromuscular pathology.
Brief history of the Unit
Pediatric orthopedics began in Sabadell in 1982, in the old Nen Jesús Children's Clinic and, at the hands of Dr. Rosendo Ullot From 1986, the Pediatric Orthopedics section already had 4 specialists: Dr. Rosendo Ullot, Dr. Dolors Coll, Dr. Xavier Llistar and Dr. Jordi Cortés, and was part of the Pediatric Surgery Service.
Later, the section was incorporated into the Parc Taulí Health Corporation as a Unit within the Traumatology Service, having at that time two specialists: Dra. Dolors Coll and Dr. Jaume Aláez.
Currently, the Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology Unit is part of the Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology Service.
Nuria Gimeno Calavia - Coordinator of the Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology Unit
Nuria Gimeno Calavia. Degree in Medicine at the UAB. Specialist in Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology via MIR, trained at the Parc Taulí Health Corporation. Collaborating teacher at the Parc Taulí Teaching Unit (UAB). Tutor of the residents of the Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology Service during the years 2012-2014. Training course in Advanced Pediatric Orthopedics, sponsored by the Spanish Society of Pediatric Orthopedics (SEOP). Member of the SEOP, the Catalan Society of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology (SCCOT) and the Spanish Society of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology (SECOT). Author of multiple presentations at national conferences.
Patricia Martínez Grau Degree in Medicine at the UAB. Specialist in Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology via MIR, trained at the Parc Taulí Health Corporation. Tutor of the residents of the Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology Service during the years 2019-2021. Training course in Advanced Pediatric Orthopedics, funded by the Spanish Society of Pediatric Orthopedics (SEOP). Member of the SEOP, the Catalan Society of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology (SCCOT) and the Spanish Society of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology (SECOT). Author of multiple presentations at national conferences.
Alfons Gasset Weaver. Degree in Medicine at the University of Girona. Specialist in Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology via MIR, trained at the Parc Taulí Health Corporation. Author of multiple presentations at national conferences.
What we do
Clinical assessment for the diagnosis and follow-up of those children and adolescents referred from the Primary Care team or from the hospital setting, with problems related to traumatology and/or orthopedics:
- Hip pathology: Perthes disease, hip dysplasia, impingement, etc.
- Knee pathology: meniscopathies, ligamentous pathology, patellar instability, osteochondritis, etc.
- Upper extremity pathology: spring thumb, synovial cyst, radial cleft hand, Madelung's disease, polydactyly, syndactyly, glenohumeral instability, congenital malformations, congenital brachial paralysis, etc.
- Foot and ankle pathology: flat feet, cavus feet, osteochondritis, metatarsus adductus, club feet, Achilles retraction, congenital malformations, etc.
- Tumor pathology and infections: benign osteomuscular tumor pathology, arteriovenous malformations, etc.
- Spine pathology: scoliosis, hyperkyphosis, cervical pain, low back pain, congenital torticollis.
- Pathology of axial and rotational deformity of lower limbs: femoral anteversion, internal tibial torsion, genu var, genu valg, dysmetria, etc.
- Neuromuscular pathology and minority diseases.
- Traumatic pathology of any location.
- Prenatal information of the baby clubfoot and other congenital malformations.
- Participation in the Multidisciplinary Unit of Child Neuromuscular Pathology in complex pediatric patients. Carrying out multidisciplinary consultations at EAP Bellapart in Sabadell.
- Participation in the Multidisciplinary Group of Arteriovenous malformations.
- Participation in the Multidisciplinary Group of Rare Diseases: Angelman syndrome, Prader Willi syndrome and fragile X syndrome, being the Parc Taulí State Reference Center (CSUR).
- Performing simple procedures that require sedation with Kalinoux: removal of Kirschner needles.
- Realization of surgeries in the central and ambulatory surgical area according to the type of pathology.
- Acute traumatic and orthopedic pathology.
- Follow-up of postoperative patients.
|Minor outpatient surgery
|CME under sedation
|Hospital field visits