Head of the Teaching Unit:
Ana Ochagavia Calvo
Cristina Espinal Sacristán, Consuelo Guía Rambla, Guillem Gruartmoner de Vera,
Ana Navas Pérez, Andrey Rodríguez Yakushev
93 723 10 10 ext. 21152
Accredited places: 3 per year
MEF Program Summary
La Intensive Care deals with patients with pathophysiological disorders with a high level of severity that may pose a threat to their lives, but are also susceptible to recovery. The specialist must have the necessary knowledge of the pathophysiological mechanisms responsible for the critical situation of patients and know how to apply the different appropriate life support techniques.
- The Intensive Care Unit is part of the Critics' Area, which has a multipurpose Intensive Care Unit, a Semi-Critics Unit and a pre-hospital care device (ground and air).
- The Critics' Area is a reference service in our area in the care of critically ill patients, with a system aimed at the comprehensive care of patients in both the pre-hospital and hospital settings; guaranteeing the continuity of patient care, with excellent health care, and integrating care work, teaching and research.
- The professionals of the Intensive Care Unit are responsible for the care, quality control, review of the material and updating of the action protocols for cardiorespiratory arrest in the institution.
- The Intensive Care Unit coordinates organ and tissue transplantation. In addition, it participates in the implementation of definitive pacemakers together with the Cardiology Service.
Teaching and research activity
- Training of national and foreign residents.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate training in medicine and nursing.
- Reference center for training in specific areas of knowledge (hemodynamic monitoring, ultrasound, mechanical ventilation) at national and international level.
- Organization of courses on different topics in the field of critical medicine.
- The Intensive Care Unit has a long research career at the clinical and experimental level.
- The research group forms group 33 of the CIBER of respiratory diseases and is recognized as a consolidated group in pathophysiology associated with the critically ill patient by the Agency for the Management of University and Research Grants (AGAUR / SGR532). El grup participa activament en grups de treball de la Societat Europea de Medicina Intensiva (ESICM), la Sociedad Española de Medicina Intensiva, Crítica y Unidades Coronarias (SEMICYUC) de sèpsies, patologia cardiovascular i insuficiència respiratòria, i la Societat Catalana de Medicina Intensiva i Criticism (SOCMIC).
- The Intensive Care Unit occupies a leading position in acute lung injury, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), mechanical ventilation, critically ill infection, hemodynamic monitoring / ultrasound, and innovation in monitoring.
The research group in the area of critics has established collaboration agreements with other groups of researchers of excellence, national and international, to promote their projection and growth at the level of care, teaching and research.