Head of the Teaching Unit:
Jaume Admiral Daly
Thais López Alba
93 723 10 10 ext. 20076 - 25043 - 25010
Accredited places: 1 per year
MEF Program Summary
- Nephrology training itinerary [Catalan] [Spanish]
- Schedule of rotations
Nephrology aims to study the kidneys in health and disease. Its content includes:
- Prevention, diagnosis and treatment of kidney disease.
- Study and treatment of general processes that come from renal dysfunction: hypertension, hydroelectrolytic disorders.
- Study, development of dialysis techniques and management of patients in renal replacement treatments: hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and transplantation. Professional practice involves an overview and general management of the patient using complex technologies.
The Nephrology Service consists of:
- Specific hospitalization of Nephrology.
- Acute Dialysis Unit.
- Peritoneal Dialysis Unit. Usual control of about 25-30 patients on peritoneal dialysis.
- Chronic Hemodialysis Unit with 3 rooms: 27 hemodialysis sites to treat 160 patients in three shifts (from 7 am to 22.30 pm).
- Day Hospital Unit.
- External consultations: four clinics.
- Hospital interconsultations.
- External rotation of residents by kidney transplant in the Kidney Transplant Unit of the Hospital Clínic de Barcelona.
The Service consists of 10 nephrologists (4 consulting physicians, 4 senior physicians and 2 adjuncts), 32 nursing staff (24 nurses and 8 assistants), 3 technicians and a secretariat.