The mission of the Pathological Anatomy Service is to make quality anatomopathological diagnoses based on the morphological and / or molecular study of patient samples. These diagnoses are based on the most advanced knowledge, and provide added value to facilitate the making of the best therapeutic decisions. This task is done by collaborating with other professionals and applying the technologies efficiently, with the aim of responding to the health problems of the reference population.
We work with more than forty-five professionals (pathologists, residents of pathological anatomy, molecular biologist, cytotechnicians, technicians specializing in pathological anatomy and cytopathology, and administrative) and we are responding to virtually all the needs of the Institution in terms of diagnosis. morphological and molecular analysis of anatomopathological samples.
It is an accredited service for the training of specialists in Pathological Anatomy (2 residents / year), which is also fully involved in the teaching of the UAB Degree in Medicine. The subject of Structural and Molecular Pathology is taught to students. of 3rd, in the Parc Taulí Teaching Unit) and with the training of laboratory technicians (there are collaboration agreements with various institutes and schools, whose students do internships in the service). Since June 2017, the Service has had the Quality Management System certified in accordance with the UNE-EN ISO 9001: 2015 standard and progress is being made in the implementation of the UNE-EN ISO 15189 standard in a Service diagnostic area.
In the Pathological Anatomy Service, a wide range of technological resources (complementary techniques) is applied to the morphological diagnosis of the samples, in cases where it is necessary to guarantee the achievement of the maximum reliability of the diagnosis. In this sense, it has a wide range of histochemical and immunohistochemical stains and molecular pathology techniques, which make it possible to complete the morphological diagnosis with prognostic data and with the detection of possible therapeutic targets.
The availability of these complementary techniques also makes it possible to actively participate in a large number of research projects, both in-house and in collaboration with other hospital services.
- What: To make quality anatomopathological diagnoses based on the morphological and / or molecular study of the patients' samples, based on the most advanced knowledge, which allow to add value and facilitate the making of the best therapeutic decisions.
- Collaborating with other professionals and applying technologies efficiently.
- Offering a high quality technical service, including diagnosis and advice on the results obtained
- Permanently optimizing work processes
- Acting with ethics, independence and professional rigor
- Providing care to applicants and patients, meeting criteria of professionalism and confidentiality.
Complying with the quality standards established in the UNE-EN-ISO 9001 and UNE-EN-ISO 15189 standards.
- Because: To be able to respond to the reference population in terms of health in an effective and efficient way and with a high level of diagnostic quality, promoting equity within a framework of sustainability.
- To be a reference service of excellence for patients, professionals and the organization itself in the healthcare, organizational, teaching and research aspects.
- Facilitate the quality of life and well-being of people. Sensitivity.
- Excellence as a service responsibility.
- Equity and commitment to society.
- Comply with the code of ethics and legal and regulatory requirements.
- Continuous improve.
- Teamwork with other professionals, in line with the Institution's quality policy.
Director of the Pathological Anatomy Service
Joan Carles Ferreres Piñas